Sunday 15 July 2018

Movie Review - Ant-Man and the Wasp

In the name of Allah. The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

Assalamu'alaikum, y'all!!

"Maybe you just need someone watching your back. Like a partner."
~ Cassie Lang (Ant-Man and the Wasp) ~

5 months. Friggin' 5 months since my last post. What the frack?! Blame it on research and me procrastinating though. Anyway, it's been 5 months since my last post but it's been an even longer time since I did a movie review. So this time it's this movie........

Ant-Man and the Wasp poster

I'm in no way affiliated with anybody as I'm doing this review since I'm not a professional film critic but just a casual movie-goer. So this review may or may not contain spoilers since I'm pretty unclear what counts as a spoiler. Haha! Here we go....

Paul Rudd reprises his role as Ant-Man/Scott Lang from the 1st movie. The same goes for Michael Douglas (Hank Pym), Evangeline Lilly (Hope van Dyne), Michael Peña (Luis), Ti (Dave) and David Dastmalchian (Kurt). Newcomers include Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix, CSI), Hannah John-Kamen (Ready Player One) and Michelle Pfeiffer (Mother!, Murder on the Orient Express) who plays Janet van Dyne, Hank's wife, Hope's mom.

Like it's predecessor, the movie has the quick-witted Scott Lang being in a rut in almost every moment of the movie. For instance, trying to be an awesome dad to his daughter Cassie while being 3 days from finishing his probation after getting arrested for being involved with Captain America (Captain America: Civil War). Hank, knowing that Scott returned from the quantum realm after going sub-atomic in the 1st movie, believes that his wife is still alive and that there is a chance to save her. So in a nutshell, that's sort of the basis of the film.

HOWEVER....

(There's always a 'however', isn't there?)

Things are never easy when you're a superhero. Hank, Scott and Hope face a new enemy in the form Ava Starr a.k.a Ghost who can phase through objects, making her a different kind of bad guy (or bad woman. I'm equal opportunity). She wants Hank's equipment to get Janet out of the quantum realm and suck the quantum energy out of her and cure herself from her condition, possibly killing Janet.

As if that's not enough the heroes face Sonny Burch played Walton Goggins (Shanghai Noon, Justified) who want to take Hank's tech and sell it on the black market. Have no fear though, Scott's got some back-up........


These 3 ex-cons (4 including Scott) are starting a security business but of course they have time to play the good guys. Michael Peña plays Luis the same as he did the first time: Fast-talking and funny as hell. Same goes for T.I and David Dastmalchian. I guess you can say they're like the comic-relief of the flick but they do their parts too.

I think what people were most looking forward to (at least I was anyway) was seeing Evangeline Lilly in that Wasp outfit. This seemed inevitable considering Hank showed Hope the suit at the end of the 1st movie.



Can we all just agree that Evangeline Lilly is SUPER pretty?


Anyway, the full introduction of the Wasp into the MCU is good considering that we actually KNEW the character was coming. It'd more awesome if none of us knew Hank made the suit for Hope and we suddenly see her fighting in it in the sequel. But hey, to each his own, innit?

So, can the heroes get Janet from the quantum realm? Can Ava cure herself? Or will Sonny get the best of them all and sell Hank's tech in the black market? I ain't telling you the rest of the movie so what the heck are you waiting for? Go see it!

I give "Ant-Man and the Wasp" an 8.5/10

Movie talk aside, I had a rough couple of months lately. I've been struggling physically, emotionally and mentally. I can't actually write it now and post it. I'm telling you, man. It's hard for me not to vent out and tell the world. It's even harder for me to call out the person(s) who did this to me. And yes, I'm talking about you. To think that the support and concern came from OUTSIDE this particular circle is sad for me.

And if ANYBODY who reads this even thinks of telling me, "Syauqi, take that post down" or even "Tak elok la kau buat blog entry macam tu", you CLEARLY don't know me. You have no idea what my strengths and weaknesses are. You have no idea what I bottle up inside. FOR MONTHS. YEARS even. So if you have issues with my posts, the door's open and PLEASE let it hit your ass on the way out.


See you guys on the flip side!!

P.S: As per usual, stay for the post-credit scenes. BOTH of them ;-)