Wednesday 7 February 2018

NZ Road Trip: Christchurch

In the name of Allah. The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

Assalamu'alaikum, everyone!

"And it is He who spread the Earth and made in it firm mountains and rivers, and of all fruits, He has made it in two kinds; He makes the night cover the day; most surely there are signs in this for people who reflect"
~ Surah ar-Ra'd from the Quran, 13:3 ~

Sorry for the hold up. I had a progress meeting today and I was extremely behind schedule so I've been busy the past few days. Now let's get right down to it. Our last stop in our road trip was......

CHRISTCHURCH.

On our way from Queenstown, we did a quick picnic at Lake Tekapo. The lake is about 3- 4 hours drive from Queenstown, halfway to Christchurch. There are actually some other cool stuff and places. But first, I'll tell you what we did first, aites?



  





We arrived at Christchurch at late afternoon and it was quite a big size for a guest house. Chris really knows how to make his guests feel welcome though. When Ibu was praying, Chris came by and tell us what we can do and where we can go. He told us that there were a few bars and pubs that we can go if we wanted to drink.

Haha!!

I think if he saw my tudung-wearing mom, he'd suggested other places

After settling in for a bit, the 4 of us got a little peckish. So we after doing our Solat, we headed back out to find some grub. Again we found a place that made good kebabs. We took 'em home and just chilled for the night.

The following day was more eventful though. We went to a few places. First place, we visited Re:START a.k.a the container mall. It's a temporary mall set up after the earthquake that happened there in February 2011. The shops and stores are literally containers turned into little shops. There are also some food trucks and stalls that sell little trinkets.






Sorry for the lack of pictures though. It was sort of our last day so we wanted to really take in the sights.

Later we went to the International Antarctic Centre. The tickets for the tour and shows were off the cards since we were going to meet Ayah's friend at Canterbury University.

Here's a few photos at the centre.







Gotta love the penguins. Haha!

Then we went to the Air Force Museum. Ibu and I didn't do much though because we were beat. But I think Ayah geeked out. Haha! He loves these old fighter planes.



Actually, sort regret not going with him. Oh well.

Last stop before going back to our place, we met up with Ayah's old friend at Canterbury university.

 



Turmeric latte
Ayah's friend suggested us to have turmeric latte. Ibu didn't like it that much but I think it was good. It has that flavour and tinge with a weird after taste that tickles your taste buds.


Don't ask why I took that last picture. Because I don't know either. Hehe..

At night, we rested up and slept early because the next day was our flight back to Malaysia. But we had to fly from Christchurch to Auckland, then from there to KLIA2. I have a few other photos from that too but maybe next post.

I mentioned earlier about the other stuff to do at south island.

1. Te Anau

Te Anau is a town in south island that has Lake Te Anau, the largest lake in the south island and 2nd largest in NZ after Lake Taupo. It's at the shore of Fiordland (a bit of wordplay from the word 'fjord'). Lying at the borders of Fiordland National Park, it is also one of the places where visitors can go which is no. 2 in this list.

2. Milford Sound

Milford Sound is actually the name of the cruise. If you wanna splash some cash on one of the most beautiful scenic views on EARTH, I highly suggest you take the cruise. If you happen to take the Interislander ferry and think the views from THAT ship is amazing, wait till you take this one.

3. Invercargill

Invercargill is the southern and western-most city in NZ and  one of the southern-most in the world. I heard from someone that in the winter there might even be snow if it was cold enough.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't actually know what's the best thing to do at these places but I heard it from many people enough to know that they're a big deal. Along with Dunedin.

I'll be posting our trip back to Malaysia soon In Sya-Allah.

See you guys on the flip side!!

P.S: I'm really lacking sleep and dare I say that this is due to me doing my post-grad