Sunday 29 January 2017

Movie Review - Split

In the name of Allah. The Most Gracious. The Most Merciful

Assalamu'alaikum, y'all!!

"You will be in the presence of something greater. The world will understand now. The beast is real."
~ Kevin (Split) ~

Procrastination, man. It's quite the S.O.B. I watched Split on Wednesday but finally doing a little review right NOW.


Ever since I saw the trailer I was like "I HAVE to see this". I'm not much of a thriller/horror kind of guy when it comes to movies but I just thought I'd make this one an exception.


Basically, it's a movie about a man, Kevin (James McAvoy) who has dissociative identity disorder (DID). His "shrink" or psychiatrist, Dr. Fletcher (Betty Buckley) meets him whenever one of his identities contacts her.

His identities includes Dennis, a man with OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), Hedwig (no, not Harry Potter's owl), a 9 year-old boy and Barry, the stereotypical gay fashion designer. And these are just a few of the 23 identities.

3 girls are kidnapped after a birthday party and they slowly put together the pieces and figure out that their captor has DID. They meet some of his identities and try to manipulate one of them to their advantage but with no success and Kevin's identities isolated them. The identities are kept in checked by Dennis and Patricia, the dominant identities by saying that a 24th identity is about to surface. The grand poobah if you will.  The Beast. This identity prays on people who has things easy, those who don't know what it feels like to have scars. The 3 girls are sort of a sacrifice to The Beast when it emerges. So the 3 girls find a way to escape the identities or what it is dubbed later in the movie, "the horde". That's all I'm gonna say 'cause I don't wanna put any spoilers. Haha!

I'm a novice when it comes to movies of this genre so to those who wanna dabble in it, I recommend you go see it. M. Night Syamalan is quite the director when it comes to thrillers and that might just be an understatement 'cause I've just seen a few. You'll have that suspense and heart-pounding feeling since the beginning of the movie and sometimes you might even feel sorry for "the horde". Don't ask me why. Just go see the movie. Haha! James McAvoy in this movie I think did an amazing job portraying a man with 24 identities. Usually you have auditions where many people tryout for ONE character. Here's just ONE man playing 24 characters. Insane.

I think I'd give this...................

8/10

Oh btw, if you do watch this movie, you're gonna like the ending. You won't be disappointed

;-)

Gotta go. United's playing Wigan in the FA Cup!

See you guys on the flip side!!

P.S: Congratulations, Roger Federer on getting that elusive 18th grand slam title! Ladies and gentlemen, your 2017 Australian Open men's singles champion! I think I'd probably do a post on this tomorrow. Haha!